Thursday, October 25, 2007

Octobers Party

~October gave a party;

The leaves by hundreds came-

The Chestnuts, Oaks, Maples,

And leaves of every name.

The Sunshine spread a carpet,

And everything was grand,

Miss Weather led the dancing,

Professor Wind the band.

~George Cooper, "October's Party'


~Listen! The wind is rising,
and the air is wild with leaves,
We have had our Summer evenings,
Now for October eves!
~Humbert Wolfe

~Summer fades and passes and October comes.
We'll smell smoke then,
and feel an unexpected sharpness, a thrill of
nervousness, swift elation,
a sense of sadness and departure.
~Thomas Wolfe
~Leaves fall, the wind blows, and the farm
country slowly changes from the Summer
cottons into it's Winter wools.
~Henry Beston
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

All great poems, but my favorite is the first one. Delicious!

FO - 2 said...

What a party!!! :)))
Beautiful! :)

quintarantino said...

I loved the party. When's next?

Tom said...

Fine sets of beautiful pictures, made all the better by well chosen poetry.. loved the first one and I'm now off to google and finding more from George Cooper, who I am ashamed to say I've never heard of.

Thanks for all you visits to my place and thank you for taking the time to leave your most welcome comments. What ever you get up to or have planed this weekend enjoy and feel free.

Anonymous said...

WoW...some beautifully captured shots & the beautiful poems...love the collages & the words...Excellent!

Ruth Welter said...

Love the autumnal poetry & the photos.

imac said...

Wow, love the set-up, love the colours,love the poems,and love the use of coloured verse too.

Anonymous said...

wonderful! hmm is their food at the party?

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Such beautiful, carefully chosen poetry which accompanies your charming photos!

Cathrine said...

beautiful :-)
have a good weekend !


I’m envious of the trees in autumn
of the ease with which they shed their leaves
sending them of in a blast of color
letting them go in joy
knowing what’s in store
they stand tall and proud
shouting farewells in the wind
no clinging
no fear
I’m so envious of these trees
and notice the pride
the pride with which they bare their core
no shame
no unease
at standing naked in the breeze
‘this here is who I am
this here is what I am made of
no mask across my bark
cut into me if you like
lean on me
take shelter
I’m none the weaker for it’.

Anonymous said...

Oh Cat as usual you take my breath away with your photos..so BEAUTIFUL!!

Neva said...

Beautiful colors in all of these photos....good job...